Open-source RPA quickstart guide
Welcome to Robocorp! This quickstart teaches you the basics of our products, how to build software robots in VS Code or Robocorp Lab, and orchestrate them in Control Room. As we go through the process of software robot development, we will explain our approach to Robotic Process Automation (RPA) in more detail.
Robocorp was founded on the realization that robotic process automation is fundamentally a developer domain. That's why we build our automation stack and products with mainly developers in mind, but developers are people too! So our design approach is to use syntax and language that is easy to read and write (Robot Framework). Pure Python robots are also supported natively!
Create an account
To get started, create an account, if you do not have one already. Next, follow the steps to download Robocorp Lab, our free, open-source developer tool for building software robots, or install the VS Code extensions.
Start building software robots today
You have just created an account for the most advanced and easy-to-use platform to build and run software robots.
After installing Robocorp Lab, download ready-made robot examples and open Robocorp Lab Basic Tutorial to learn how to develop your first software robot with Robocorp Lab. You will learn the basic syntax of the robot, how to run it locally, and how to publish it to Control Room.
Example robots are a great way to get started with creating software robots. You can execute them with minimal setup. The robots use the recommended file structure.
Robot Framework, Python, or both. Your choice!
Software robots are built with Robot Framework, or Python, or both! Robot Framework has an easy to read syntax that you will quickly grasp. You can learn more about Robot Framework from these articles:
- What is Robot Framework?
- Basic concepts
- Basic syntax
- What are keywords?
- What are tasks?
- How to use variables?
- How to use for loops?
- How to create a while loop?
- How to do conditional IF / ELSE IF / ELSE execution?
- Robot Framework cheat sheet and quick reference
For Python robot examples see these articles:
- Web scraper Python robot example
- A simple robot written in Python
- Employee Training Reminders With Excel Files And Python
- Working With HTML Tables
- Python learning resources
From developer to developers
To help you develop faster, we maintain and develop a curated selection of open-source libraries, that support the most common automation use cases. Our open ecosystem is also extendable with any external Python library.
Learn more and join the community
There is a lot more to discover and learn:
- Improve your software robot development skills and dive deeper with our Beginners' course, where you will create a fully working robot from scratch. Completing the course will grant you the Robocorp Level I certificate!
- When you are ready for a challenge, take the Robocorp Level II certificate course, Build a robot!
- Go through our example robots to learn best practices.
- Join our forums to discuss with the community.
- With a Robocorp account, you can also reach us through Robocorp Slack.
- View videos on Robocorp YouTube channel.
Build it with VS Code or Robocorp Lab. Run it in Control Room.
You assemble your robot in VS Code or Robocorp Lab and run it in Control Room.
Control Room is your control center for everything automated. You can orchestrate your robots, monitor their execution and status, view their output artifacts, and more.
Log in to Control Room to learn more.
Not a developer? Not a problem.
Our tools are designed for developers, but our software robot platform is friendly enough for everyone. Choose from the options below for more information.
Book a demo session
Contact us today, and one of our RPA experts will reach out immediately to schedule a demo of our capabilities.
Explore our use cases and capabilities
- How Thoughtful Automation switched to Robocorp and slashed robot run times by 60%.
- From intro to production: How Teknei deployed client solutions in less than 4 weeks.
- How NyxTech automated 95% of their client’s manual order handling process while doubling output.
- How Quandri automated 100% of time-consuming repetitive work of daily processing thousands of insurance policies while saving costs and freeing up FTE for valuable work.
- How Kind Lending implemented multiple automations and gained significant ROI of $5K/month within three months of using Robocorp platform.
- How Roboteer saved £12k costs with simple but efficient automations.
- How Babybots created multiple bots that significantly reduced processing time from 4 months to 4 hours.
- OCR data extraction from PDF to Excel.
- RPA Robot Demonstration: Data Validation in SAP, Salesforce, and Excel.
Invite your team to start building software robots
We are developer-friendly, and we know that your developers like digging and seeing what the tools can do. We are entirely free to get started, so send them an invite today!