Test your environment with a Demo Worker
Setup Utility offers you the possibility of doing an end-to-end validation of your environment by setting up a Demo Worker.
The Demo Worker is destined only for testing purposes. We do not recommend using it in production scenarios. The Windows Workers will be appropriate for those circumstances.
Setting up the Demo Worker will heavily depend on the state of the current environment. Setup Utility runs the diagnostic checks in order to determine if the environment is suitable for remote execution of tasks. You can always quickly validate your environment.
As seen in the above diagram, it is highly recommended that you validate the environment before going through Worker Management. If there are warnings in the diagnostic checks, make sure you go through them in search of something critical.
In case of failures, we don't recommend setting up the Demo Worker. You might get into complicated situations that would require expert intervention.
The Demo Worker Management page will provide ways to set up a Demo Worker.
To add a new Demo Worker, click on the New Worker button to open up a dedicated dialog.
Inside the dialog you will need to provide the Link Token. The necessary token can be found in Control Room following this path:
- Access your dedicated Robocorp Control Room (possible URL: https://cloud.robocorp.com/)
- Make sure you select the right Organization and the right Workspace
- With the left side menu, navigate to the Unattended option where you'll find the Workers
- On the right central panel, you'll find the Linked Self-Hosted Workers section
- Click on Link Worker
- A dialog should show up giving you a unique token to use when linking the worker
- Copy to clipboard
Coming back to Setup Utility you'll have to paste the token in the Link Token field.
Afterwards, you can add a Worker Name.
Once you have all of fields filled in, you can Start the process.
Setup Utility will download the worker (the executable needed), will verify the download and the correct execution of the worker, will initialize the worker (a process in which the worker downloads and sets up the needed tools) and will link the Demo Worker to Control Room.
If everything works fine, you will be guided to the Worker Details page.
Once linked, the Demo Worker will be visible in the Linked Self-Hosted Workers section in Control Room with an
When it comes to the workers, Setup Utility will monitor their execution and will keep you informed throughout the process.
You can now Start the Demo Worker.
Once started, you will always have the possibility to Stop the execution.
⚠️ Quitting the Setup Utility application will always stop the Demo Worker.
To further control the worker, you can access the Menu button.
The Menu Button will help with additional actions for the Worker or user.
- Open in Control Room will directly take you to the Linked Worker in Control Room
- Enable Video Stream or Disable Video Stream will enable or disable the Worker's ability to send a video stream to Control Room
- Enable Data Transfer or Disable Data Transfer will enable or disable the Worker's ability to send data to Control Room
- Upgrade Worker will provide you the ability to upgrade the current worker to a newer version
- Remove Worker will uninstall Worker and remove all relevant details
Note: Enabling/Disabling Video Stream/Data Transfer will require restarting the Worker in order to have the intended effect
You can follow the execution by inspecting the Console Output or by Open Output Log.
If everything is working as expected, you can check the status of the worker in the Linked Self-Hosted Workers section in Control Room.
The new status should be
Idle. This means that the Demo Worker is now capable of receiving tasks.
The last step in the end-to-end validation is to run a unattended automation by using the newly connected Demo Worker.
The process will be triggered in Control Room, but through the help of Setup Utility and the Demo Worker, it will execute on your current machine.
🚀 You are good to go!
Remove Worker at any time. By unlinking, Setup Utility will break the connection with Control Room, but, for security reasons, will not delete the worker entry in Linked Self-Hosted Workers.